Berry Melange French Toast topped with Mascarpone
Breakfast doesn't get much more impressive than french toast with creamy mascarpone cheese and fresh berries. Villaggio® Artesano™ Brioche Style White Bread is stacked and topped with berry melange and mascarpone cheese. A decadent dish for brunch, this french toast looks as good as it tastes. Serves four.
- 8 Slices of Villaggio® Artesano™ White Bread
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) of honey
- 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) of grated lemon zest
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) of lemon juice
- 1 cup of raspberries
- 1 cup of blueberries
- 1 cup of blackberries
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) mascarpone cheese
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) honey
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whipping cream
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) heavy cream
- 1 tsp (5 mL) almond extract
- 2 tsp (5 mL) double vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Canola oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, whisk together honey, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Gently incorporate berries to honey mixture.
- Cover; refrigerate for at least 30 Minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the mascarpone topping ingredients, until blended.
- With electric mixer, beat heavy cream until stiff, moist peaks form.
- Stir whipped cream into mascarpone to lighten, fold in remaining cream.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Whisk together eggs, cream, almond extract, double vanilla and pinch of salt.
- Place the bread in a shallow dish or tray and pour egg mixture over to soak for approximately 5 minutes.
- Heat canola oil and butter in skillet, over medium heat.
- Cook french toast for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Dust with cinnamon sugar.
- Top with berry melange and a dollop of mascarpone.