Leftover Turkey Club Sandwich
Bacon jam, gouda, and watercress are just some of the ingredients helping turn your leftover turkey into this unforgettable turkey club.
Preparation 20 min
Total 1 hr 10 min
- 8 slices of Villaggio® Classico Italian Style Thick Slice White Bread
- 16 strips of bacon
- 2 large sweet red onions, quartered and thickly sliced
- 1/2 (125 mL) cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 (125 mL) cup water
- 1/3 (79 mL) cup espresso or strong coffee
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
- Salt, if necessary
- 1/2 (125 mL) cup aioli
- 500g leftover turkey
- 1/2 (125 mL) cup spicy cranberry sauce
- 8 slices of young gouda
- 1 bunch of arugula
- 1/2 cucumber, cut into ribbons
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- In a large skillet/frying pan, cook up bacon over medium-high heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Pour out all but 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings and set aside.
- Add in sliced red onions and cook for approximately 8-10 minutes, then, reduce heat to low.
- Add in sugar and continue cooking and stirring for approx. 20 minutes, until onions have caramelized.
- Add the reserved bacon, coffee and water. Increase the heat to medium and continue. Cooking, stirring about every 5 minutes, until the onions are thick and jammy, approx. 30 mins.
- Remove from heat and stir in balsamic vinegar.
- Spread 1 tbsp of aioli on each slice of Villaggio® Classico Italian-Style Thick Slice White Bread.
- Arrange 4 slices with turkey, cranberry sauce, gouda, cucumber layer with bacon jam, arugula and tomato slices.
- Top bread slice, mayo side down.
- Cut in half or quarters.