French Onion Burger
Fresh take on French onion soup in burger form.
Preparation 20 min
Total 28 min
- 4 Villaggio® Artesano™ Brioche Hamburger Buns
- 2 lb (908 g) ground chuck
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire
- 4 slices mild provolone
- 4 slices gruyere
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 5 medium sweet onions
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) tomato paste
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) worcestershire
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup (190 mL) onion flakes
- 1/3 cup (85 mL) beef bouillon powder
- 1 tbsp+ 1 tsp (20 mL) onion powder
- 1/4 tsp celery seeds
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- Mix all of the French onion seasoning ingredients together for a 1 cup yield
- Combine 1/4 cup french onion seasoning with ground chuck and a little worcestershire together in a mixing bowl
- Do not overmix
- Form the meat mixture into 4 1-inch thick patties.
- Indent the centre of the patties with your thumb
- In a skillet melt the butter, sugar and olive oil, add the shredded sweet onions and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the thyme, tomato paste worcestershire, vinegar and beef stock and cook till dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook approximately 2 minutes.
- Flip and top with slices of cheese.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes for medium rare or until desired doneness
- Combine mayonnaise and dijon
- Leave patties to cool slightly while lightly toasting buns.
- Spread the bottom part of the bun with mayonnaise mixture.
- Top with the burger and onions.