Poppy Seed French Toast with Tangy Lemon Curd
This tasty Poppy Seed French Toast with Lemon Curd adds some flair to classic French toast. Baked with Villaggio® Classico Italian Style Thick Slice White Bread and topped with fresh berries and a dollop of tart lemon curd, it's a delicious dish for brunch and special occasions. Serves four.
Preparation 5 min
Total 20 min
- 8 slices Villaggio® Classico Italian Style Thick Slice White Bread
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) 10% half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) poppy seeds
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) icing sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) prepared lemon curd
- Fresh raspberries
- Whisk together eggs, cream, milk, vanilla and salt.
- Place bread in shallow baking dish; pour egg mixture over top. Let stand for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp (2 mL) poppy seeds; flip over and sprinkle with another 1/2 tsp (2 mL) poppy seeds.
- Soak for 1 minute.
- In large, nonstick skillet, heat half of the butter and oil over medium heat; cook soaked bread, in batches, for
- 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Wipe out skillet and repeat with remaining butter, oil and bread.
- Divide evenly among 4 plates and dust with icing sugar. Serve with dollop of lemon curd and raspberries.
- Sprinkle with remaining poppy seeds.
Tips: Hold the first batch of toast in a warm oven on a wire rack positioned over a baking sheet until ready to serve.