Mozzarella-Stuffed Meatball Panini
This rich and cheesy Mozzarella-Stuffed Meatball Panini is an ooey-gooey sandwich the whole family will love. Meatballs and tomato sauce are layered between slices of toasted Villaggio® Italian Style Thick Slice 100% Whole Wheat Bread for a savoury grilled sandwich that always hits the spot. Serves two.
- 4 slices Villaggio® Italian Style Thick Slice 100% Whole Wheat Bread
- 1/4 lb (125 g) each lean ground beef and ground veal
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 4 (1/2-inch/1 cm) cubes mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups (500 mL) strained tomatoes or tomato sauce with basil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Mix ground beef with ground veal, garlic powder, salt, oregano and pepper.
- Roll and shape into 4 meatballs. Press 1 cube mozzarella into center of each meatball. Form meat around to enclose.
- Meanwhile bring strained tomatoes to a simmer set over medium heat. Add meatballs.
- Simmer, covered for 20 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through and tender.
- Preheat Panini press according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Sandwich 2 meatballs between 2 slices of bread.
- Top each with 1 tbsp (15 mL) Parmesan cheese.
- Cook sandwich in press for 2 to 3 minutes for 2 to 3 minutes or until bread is toasted.
- Serve with extra sauce.