- 4 slices Villaggio® Whole Wheat Bread
- 1/4 lb (125 g) each lean ground beef and ground veal
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 4 (1/2-inch/1 cm) cubes mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups (500 mL) strained tomatoes or tomato sauce with basil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely grated Parmesan cheese
Mix ground beef with ground veal, garlic powder, salt, oregano and pepper. Roll and shape into 4 meatballs. Press 1 cube mozzarella into center of each meatball. Form meat around to enclose.
Meanwhile bring strained tomatoes to a simmer set over medium heat. Add meatballs. Simmer, covered for 20 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through and tender.
Preheat Panini press according to manufacturer’s instructions. Sandwich 2 meatballs between 2 slices of bread. Top each with 1 tbsp (15 mL) Parmesan cheese. Cook sandwich in press for 2 to 3 minutes for 2 to 3 minutes or until bread is toasted. Serve with extra sauce.