Easy Grilled Veal and Cheese Open-Faced Sandwich
Light yet savoury, this Easy Grilled Veal and Cheese Open-Faced Sandwich is always a satisfying lunch option. Served on Villaggio® Classico Italian Style Thick Slice White Bread, it's a delicious grilled sandwich that's quick to prepare. Serves four.
- 4 slices Villaggio® Classico Italian Style Thick Slice White Bread
- 1 lb (500 g) veal scallopini
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) arugula
- Preheat grill to medium heat; grease grate well.
- Toss veal with 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Grill for 1 or 2 minutes per side or until grill-marked and just cooked through.
- Top each slice of bread with 1 slice of provolone and grilled veal.
- Grill sandwiches for 1 minute or until bread is grill-marked on the bottom.
- Turn off heat on one side of grill.
- Place sandwiches on side with no heat; close lid and cook over indirect heat until cheese melts.
- Top sandwiches with arugula and drizzle with remaining oil.
Use leftover veal cutlets or prepared veal cutlets for an even easier-to-make sandwich.
Spread sun-dried tomato pesto overslices of bread before layering cheese and veal over top if desired.