Classic Croque Monsieur Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Meaning “Mister Crunch” – the elegant end of the grilled cheese sandwich spectrum. First served in 1910 at a Paris Café, this Ham Sandwich is a classic. Try this elevated lunch idea on our Villaggio® Artesano™ Brioche Style White Bread.
Preparation 10 min
Total 15 min
- 8 Slices Villaggio® Artesano™ Brioche Style White Bread
- 1/2 lb swiss cheese shredded
- 1 large egg yolk (room temperature)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dry hot mustard
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) heavy cream
- 1/2 lb smoked boiled ham
- 4 slices of swiss cheese
- 4 tbsp of butter
- Olive oil, for frying
- In a food processor, combine the cheese, egg yolk, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, cayenne pepper, salt.
- Blend until smooth. If too thick, loosen with cream.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Spread mixture evenly over Villaggio® Artesano™ Brioche Style White Bread.
- Top 4 slices of bread with a layer of ham and cheese; cover with remaining 4 bread slices. Pressing firmly to adhere.
- Generously butter outer sides, spreading it all the way out to the
- Heat olive oil in skillet, over medium heat.
- Cook until golden brown and cheese has melted, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer to work surface and cut in half for serving.