Leftover Turkey Club Sandwich
Bacon jam, gouda and watercress are just some of the ingredients helping turn your leftover turkey into this unforgettable turkey club.
Preparation 20 min
Total 1 hr 10 min
- 8 slices of Villaggio® Classico Italian Style Thick Slice White Bread
- 16 strips of bacon, uncooked
- 2 large sweet red onions, quartered and thickly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 1/3 cup (79 mL) espresso or strong coffee
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
- Salt, if necessary
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) aioli
- 500 g leftover turkey
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) spicy cranberry sauce
- 8 slices of gouda
- 1 bunch of arugula
- 1/2 cucumber, cut into ribbons
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- In a large skillet/frying pan, cook up bacon over medium-high heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Pour out all but 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings and set aside.
- Add in sliced red onions and cook for approximately 8-10 minutes, then, reduce heat to low.
- Add in sugar and continue cooking and stirring for approximately 20 minutes, untiil onions have carmelized.
- Add the reserved bacon, coffee and water. Increase the heat to medium and continue. Cooking, stirring about every 5 mintues, until the onions are thick and jammy, approx. 30 mins.
- Remove from heat and stir in balsamic vinegar.
- Spread 1 tbsp of aioli on each slice of Villaggio® Classico Italian Style Thick Slice White Bread.
- Layer 4 slices of bread with turkey, cranberry sauce, gouda, cucumber layer with bacon jam, arugula and tomato slices.
- Spread mayonnaise on the 4 remaining slices of bread and cover.
- Cut in half or quarters.