Italian Meatball and Spinach Soup
Our flavourful Italian Meatball and Spinach Soup is a hearty soup that will satisfy on any day of the week. Pork meatballs are prepared with Villaggio® Classico Italian Style Thick Slice White Bread and savoury seasonings for delicious flavour in every spoonful. Serves six.
Preparation 15 min
Total 1 hr 5 min
- 2 slices Villaggio® Classico Italian Style Thick Slice White Bread, toasted
- 1 lb (500 g) ground pork
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 8 cups (2 L) chicken broth
- 6 cups (1.5 L) baby spinach
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- In food processor, pulse toasted bread to make fine crumbs; mix together with ground pork, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Form into 24 balls, about 1-inch (2.5 cm) in diameter.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat; brown meatballs, in batches if necessary, for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer to plate.
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven set over medium heat; cook onion, garlic and carrots, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir in chicken broth.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add meatballs; simmer for about 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Stir in spinach and cook for about 2 minutes or until wilted.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan before serving.
Tip: Soup can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 1 month.