- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (796 mL) crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 35% whipping cream
- Caprese Croutons:
- 2 slices Villaggio® Toscana Bread
- 8 slices plum tomato
- 2 slices fresh mozzarella cheese, quartered
- 8 fresh basil leaves
Heat oil in large saucepan set over medium heat; cook onion and garlic for 3 to 4 minutes or until slightly softened. Add crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, chili flakes, salt and pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
Using blender, purée soup until smooth. Return to saucepan; stir in cream until heated through.
Caprese Croutons: Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Cut each slice of bread into 4 triangles. Place on baking sheet; bake for 7 to 8 minutes or until lightly toasted.
Preheat broiler. Top each toast triangle with slice of tomato and mozzarella. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top each toast with basil leaf. Ladle soup into bowls and top with two toast triangles.
Tip: Add extra chili flakes for more heat or omit chili flakes for a less-spicy soup.