- 6 cups (1.5 L) peeled, chopped McIntosh apples (about 6 large)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) cinnamon
- Cinnamon Crumbs:
- 4 slices Villaggio® Italian-Style White Bread
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, melted
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
In saucepan, combine apples, 1/2 cup (125 mL) water, sugar and cinnamon; cover and cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until apples are very soft. Let cool completely. Mash with a fork, leaving a few chunks.
Cinnamon Crumbs: Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C). Tear bread into large pieces and place in food processor; pulse until coarse, pea-size crumbs are achieved. Add sugar, butter and cinnamon; pulse until evenly coated.
Spread in thin, even layer on parchment paper–lined baking sheet; bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown and crunchy. Let cool completely.
Topping: Using electric mixer on high speed, beat whipping cream with sugar until stiff peaks form.
Layer 1/4 cup (60 mL) applesauce and 1/4 cup (60 mL) crumbs in each of 4 dessert glasses; repeat layers. Top with dollop of whipped cream. Serve immediately.
Save any extra applesauce to pack in lunches and extra crumbs are perfect sprinkled over yogurt or ice cream.